Crafty sew and sew in Dorset

Welcome to my world of craft!

Bowline Sweatshirt

This is the second papercut patterns Bowline Sweatshirt I have made and I love it šŸ’—

My first one (link here to my post) was made in similar french terry jersey from fabricland but is no where near as soft and lovely as this second one.

I bought this green and grey striped fabric at the Great British sewing bee live last week from girl charlee uk, originally with plans to make a coco top.

I decided to make another bowline instead after seeing the stripy version on the instructions and loving how it emphasises the twist.

I used my janome dks100 for all the seams and then overlocked the seams with gold/cream thread. I decided to use the walking foot to try and keep my stripes matching.

Iā€™m pretty pleased with how the pattern matching worked out, especially on the raglan sleeves. I actually quite enjoy the brain ache of figuring out how to match patterns making allowance for seams etc.

This sweatshirt also worked out more spacious than my first one. I did add 3cm to the length but only remembered to do that on the front panel not the back so had to shorten it again!!! I also added 1cm either side of the sleeves to make them looser which is much better when wearing long sleeves underneath.

Advertisements
Leave a comment »

Succumbed to the Cleo

Well I finally gave in to the Cleo dungaree dress from Tilly and the buttons. They had a sale and I couldn’t resist any longer (even though I discussed this pattern at @dorset_meet_up with @charlotterunswithscissors and agreed it wasn’t fitted enough to be appealing!!).

I bought this pale blue needle cord at Hansons fabric and craft during the Dorset meet up in July with plans to sew a dungaree dress but from my burda magazine.

I cut the pattern out at full length so I could decide what length to have when I could try it on. I decided to cut it back to the mini skirt version but can see me making another in denim at knee length with a split at the front.

This was a really quick make; 2 hours got me to the stage above including making bias binding for the facing. A further hour finished the hem and facing.

I edged the facing with floral bias binding and the same for the hem. I love these hidden details and this is definitely a satisfying make for little details, including all the top stitching on the pockets, straps and seams.

My original thoughts on this pattern were accurate. I cut a size 4 as this matched my hip measurements and it said that the waist was not fitted so not to worry about this measurement much.

When I went to try it on it was huge and gaping at the waist but fitted on the hips. I had to take off 3cm at each side at waist level and tapered down to the size 4 hip.

This fitted on and off okay but think I got away with it as I am quite small on top half.

I used prymm buckles bought from Tilly and the buttons which went on well without the need to hammer them on, just push fit.

I am really pleased with this dress and glad that I followed the sewing crowd šŸ˜Š

10 Comments »